In early December, 2019 we migrated the Kit community from the kit.com domain to kit.co. We encourage you to update links to your kits now to avoid serious impacts on your kit traffic after the migration on December 15 (See How to update your links). If you use Amazon affiliate links in Kit, remember to also add Kit.co to your Amazon Associates profile (See Amazon Associates).
Why is this happening?
When we took Kit under our wing a few months ago, the fate of the kit.com domain was not completely settled. However, we did own Kit.co, and we knew that no matter what, we could fall back on it, if needed. On Nov 21, the owners of the kit.com domain informed us that they were no longer interested in selling to us, and they were going to re-purpose the domain for a different property. We were given two weeks to prepare.
What this means for your Kit traffic
Preserving your traffic and search engine presence is our top priority. We are creating redirects so that visitors to kit.com links will be routed to the newer kit.co addresses while we await the domain hand-off. Additionally, we are working with the owners of kit.com to hopefully maintain these redirects for some time after they assume control of the domain. However, we cannot guarantee these redirects will last forever. So, we highly recommend you update any links to your kits that you control.
How to update your links
There are three approaches you can take to update links in YouTube videos:
- We just rolled out a new tool inside of Kit that will update all of your old kit.com links to the new domain. You can find that here: https://kit.co/settings/social
- You can also do this directly on YouTube by going to YouTube Studio > videos > select all > edit > description. Check out our step-by-step guide.
- TubeBuddy has an awesome Bulk Find / Replace tool on their star plan that you can use to do a bulk update from "//kit.com/" to "//kit.co/“. Details here: https://www.tubebuddy.com/tools#bulkfindreplaceappend and a great video on the process.
You can use a find/replace plugin to convert your kit links. See our guide to updating links on your WordPress site.
If you post Amazon affiliate link to your Kits, it is important to let Amazon know this. This is done by including a link to your Kit profile in EACH regional Amazon Associates program you use. You can easily do this by
- Log into each regional Amazon Associates Central dashboard (use the flag in the upper right)
- Click on your email and select “Account Settings”
- Click “Edit Your Website And Mobile App List”
- Paste in the link to your Kit.co profile (eg, https://kit.co/your-kit-name).
Frequently Asked Questions
When will my kit.com links break?
While the owners of kit.com have offered to provide redirects from kit.com to kit.co we don’t know how long this offer will last. It could be for a few extra days or maybe as long as a year. With this uncertainty we encourage you to update your links by December 15, 2019 (Original cutoff date of Dec 8, was changed).
I’ve still got questions, who can I talk to?
Please feel free to connect with one of our team members.